Everyday noise exposure over time has an impact upon our ability to hear and on the degree of hearing loss that develops. Constant exposure to loud noise can cause high frequency sensory neural hearing loss.
An exposure of 90 dB (which is equivalent to the noise made by a power lawn mower or passing motorcycle) is allowed for 8 hours, 95 dB for 4 hours, 100 dB only for 2 hours, 105 dB ( power mower) for one hour and 130 dB for (live rock music) 20 minutes....read more
1. Stop burning household and agricultural waste. Compost and use local services for recycling and garbage disposal whenever possible Think about how you can reduce your children’s exposure to air pollution caused by vehicle exhaust emissions. Some possible actions include avoiding busy roads and taking quieter streets with less traffic, stepping back from the road if you see a heavily... read more
Artificial intelligence may detect Alzheimer's much before diagnosis. An artificial intelligence algorithm using PWT scan can predict Alzheimer's disease (AD) at an early stage. Investigators studied more than 2000 prospective 18F-fluorodeoxyglucose (18F-FDG) PET images taken from 1000 patients from the Alzheimer's Disease Neuroimaging Initiative (ADNI). They trained the algorithm on 90% of the dataset and then tested it on the remaining 10%. The algorithm... read more
The World Health Organization (WHO) has published new guidelines on management of physical health conditions in adults with severe mental disorders intended for use by health care workers providing services for people with severe mental disorders at all levels of the health care system, ... read more
The American College of Cardiology (ACC), the American Heart Association (AHA) and the Heart Rhythm Society (HRS) have jointly released a guideline for the evaluation and treatment of patients with bradycardia, or a slow heartbeat, and cardiac conduction disorders. Bradycardia has ... read more
An investigational oral antibiotic called zoliflodacin was well-tolerated and successfully cured most cases of uncomplicated urogenital and rectal gonorrhea when tested in a Phase 2 multicenter clinical trial, according to findings published November 8, 2018 in the New England... read more
In a study published Nov. 5 online in the journal Obstetrics and Gynecology, single-visit screening incorporating both a modified Pap test and visual inspection achieved a sensitivity of 96.0%, which was superior to Pap testing (76%) or visual inspection with acetic acid-... read more
Treatment with 80-mg subcutaneous ixekizumab every 2 or 4 weeks for 16 weeks in patients with active radiographic axial spondyloarthritis (r-axSpA) and previous inadequate response or intolerance to 1 or 2 TNF inhibitors (TNFi) yielded rapid and significant improvements in the signs ... read more
Reduce weight and unhealthy eating to prevent non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD) Checking vitals such as blood pressure and blood glucose regularly
New Delhi, 8 November 2018: Breastfeeding for six months or more could lower the risk of developing non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD) years later during mid-life in women, according to recent research. While the benefits of breastfeeding in babies are known, this research highlights those for the mothers. Estimates indicate that globally tens of millions of people are living with NAFLD and NASH. Weight loss and a healthier diet are the current standards of care.
NAFLD is usually asymptomatic until advanced stages of liver disease and includes a spectrum of disease severity, with nonalcoholic steatohepatitis (NASH) being the most aggressive type. Multiple genetic and environmental factors contribute to NAFLD, and certain health conditions, such as obesity and type 2 diabetes, can be predisposing factors.